NextGen Leaders – a WPP series
NextGen Leaders is our new 10-week virtual learning series for college students and recent graduates, and the first of its kind in the marketing communications industry. Its aim is to provide learning, growth and collaboration opportunities for early-career talent at a time when office-based programs have been impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.
The series allows participants to hear from and connect with leaders across agency brands and functions at WPP, as well as clients, partners and others from our broader network.
It also provides a unique opportunity to experience WPP’s culture as a whole, build community and look “under the hood” of the world’s leading creative transformation company.
Executives from WPP’s brands and top clients will lead sessions covering everything from industry trends, marketing strategy and data science to experience design, emerging technology and culture. Participants will hear from a wide range of thought leaders and highly-regarded industry figures who will bring their perspectives on today’s key issues and how to use the power of creativity to build better futures. Participants will listen to prerecorded sessions and join live discussions, where they will have the opportunity to engage with one another.
In partnership with colleges and universities in the US and the UK, the NextGen Leaders series aims to pull from as diverse a pool of early-career talent as possible and admit up to 2,000 participants.
Participants will come away from the program with their own professional network within WPP and may have the opportunity to secure full-time offers from WPP brands. Participants will also be encouraged to stay engaged with their cohort via private networks, such as an invite-only LinkedIn group.
Brands within WPP, including VMLY&R and Group SJR, will also host extension programs that plug into the NextGen Leaders curriculum and offer more specialized experiences.
The series kicked off on June 8 2020 with a live opening from CEO Mark Read and Chief People Officer Jacqui Canney. Registration for NextGen Leaders is now closed. Please check back for information for future learning opportunities from WPP. Reach out to NextGenLeaders@wpp.com with any inquiries.
Chief Executive Officer, AKQA
Chief People Officer, WPP
Chief Marketing and Growth Officer, WPP
President, North America, BCW
Chief Executive Officer, Landor
Global Head of Culture, WPP
Global Chief Executive Officer, GroupM
Global Inclusive Design & Digital Accessibility Lead, Wunderman Thompson
Chief Executive Officer, UniWorld Group
Chief Client Officer, WPP
Chief Technology Officer, WPP
EVP & Chief Corporate Affairs Officer, Pfizer
Global Chief Creative Director, VMLY&R
Global President, Business Intelligence, GroupM
The curriculum – 8 June-14 August 2020
Week 1: A Look Inside WPP
- Welcome to the program
- About WPP and our capabilities
- Agency 101 with Ogilvy
Week 2: Inclusion, Diversity & Culture at WPP
- Understanding inclusion, diversity and culture around the globe
- Cultivating an inclusive, diverse and authentic workplace with UniWorld
- Inclusive design and accessibility
Week 3: Strategy Fundamentals
- A masterclass in full spectrum thinking
- Storytelling with SJR
- Digital strategy with Boston College – Carroll School of Management
Week 4: Working with Our Clients
- Managing a global client account
- Crisis and PR: a case study with H+K
Week 5: Marketing & Technology
- The intersection of marketing and technology
- Q&A with Bottle Rocket
Week 6: A Deep Dive into Media
- Understanding the media business
- Forecasting the media business with GroupM
- Digital media with MediaCom
Week 7: Igniting Creativity
- Unlocking creative expression with AKQA
- Creativity in healthcare with VMLY&R and WPP Health
Week 8: Defining the Customer Journey
- What is the customer experience? Why does it matter? with Wunderman Thompson Commerce
- Fireside chat with Walmart and Geometry
Week 9: Building Trust & Empathy
- Fireside chat with Harvard Business School
- Workshop: are you an empathetic thinker? with VMLY&R
Week 10: Owning Your Brand
- Creating your personal brand with Landor
- Fireside chat with BCW and H+K
- Graduation/Program closing