Interns, apprentices and fellows
Change the world with your creativity.
Disruption is everywhere. Entire economies are in transition. Everyday life is unrecognisable from what it was just a moment ago.
We’re not waiting to find out what happens next. At WPP, we intend to build better futures – for our people, for our clients and for our communities – using the power of creativity.
Creativity at its best is unbounded: it’s storytelling, artistry, new technologies, new ways of reaching people and, ultimately, imagination. Solutions that impact culture, reshape industries, evoke emotion and can change human behaviour. That’s why we call ourselves a creative transformation company.
It’s not enough to be great at one skill in this interconnected and overlapping environment. We have to be great at whatever’s needed. It’s not about traditional job descriptions, legacy systems, industry definitions or what’s worked before. It’s about unpredictable interests, diverse perspectives and the raw creativity to shape bold ideas and touch emotions. It’s about aspiring for greatness. Who knows, maybe even win an Oscar!
We have the scale to provide what’s needed; at the same time, we’re committed to agility and fresh thinking. Our clients are world-leading companies, scrappy upstarts, governments and NGOs; our team includes people with expertise in, well, everything. We are searching for more artists, entertainers, musicians, scientists, those who will help us challenge convention.
Are you up to the challenge?
WPP Graduate Fellowships: Started in 1995, and with over 200 Fellows having gone through the programme to date, recent college and university graduates join our pioneering three-year programme that develops high-calibre management talent with experience across a range of marketing disciplines. Each Fellow spends their three-year experience rotating through three one-year rotations within our global agency networks. It’s a chance to see the world while building better futures.
WPP MBA Fellowships: With over 80 MBA Fellows to date, recent MBA graduates join a global multidisciplinary programme further establishing WPP as a creative transformation company. Similar to our Fellowship programme for college and university graduates, our MBA Fellows join a three-year rotational programme with rotations around the world within our global agency networks.
WPP Health Fellowship: Through the Health Fellowship, WPP cultivates science graduates into tomorrow’s brightest science communicators. Our Health Fellows are given the opportunity to explore the interconnectivity of science, health, communications, creativity and technology and apply them in all aspects of health communications via the lens of medical education, public relations, research and advertising. Assigned to agencies across our UK network, our Health Fellows work with clients that include world-leading pharmaceutical and bio-medical companies, government bodies, innovative technology firms, consumer goods companies, charities and not-for-profits.
An update on our 2020/2021 Fellowship programmes
Our industry is transforming rapidly, and we want to lead that transformation, not react to it. In that spirit, we are re-engineering and expanding the Fellowship to reflect the changing needs of WPP and our clients. The aim is to extend the scheme across more markets, broaden its already diverse profile, attract candidates from an even wider range of social, cultural and economic backgrounds, and encompass a greater number of skills.
As we reimagine the programme, our operating companies will continue with their own excellent graduate recruitment programmes, which we encourage you to explore directly with those companies.
Internships and apprenticeships
Our companies offer a range of internship and apprenticeship opportunities to attract young people into our industry and help them kickstart their careers. In 2018, 9,852 paid internships and apprenticeships were offered globally – and the programme continues to grow and offer even more opportunities.
Check out these examples:
- Burson Cohn & Wolfe ‘Starting Blocks’: This South African programme empowers candidates from previously disadvantaged groups through practical experience in public relations.
- Kinetic Brussels runs a two-year apprenticeship programme in partnership with a local college. Apprentices complete work experience as well as college courses.
- Mindshare Academy UK: This future talent programme aims to identify the best diverse talent and support social mobility. Apprentices are recruited from schools across London and complete a year-long apprenticeship with work experience, mentoring and placements.
- Wunderman Thompson New York: Wunderman’s summer internship programme enables college students to own a project from the beginning, working directly with the client. Over the eight-week programme students also participate in training sessions led by Wunderman’s creatives, strategists, analysts and account managers.
- Wunderman Thompson Catalyst Academy: An 18-month rotational graduate programme aimed at developing a new breed of leaders who can understand, communicate and deliver across the entire range of Wunderman Thompson’s capabilities. Over the course of their time on the programme, the Catalysts will rotate through different departments and business units within the UK, Germany and the Netherlands.
- VMLY&R Z Academy: Offers three- to six-month apprenticeships to students from leading digital marketing, design and social science universities. Participants work on client projects and are paired with executives across VMLY&R’s global network.
It is WPP’s policy that all internships and apprenticeships should be paid positions so they are accessible to people from all socio-economic backgrounds. Many internships focus on diverse candidates. In the US, for example, several of our companies participate in the American Association of Advertising Agencies’ Multicultural Internship Programme (MAIP). Participants gain real-world work experience, with access to training and development, networking opportunities and an alumni network. WPP companies involved include GroupM, Geometry Global, Wunderman Thompson, Ogilvy, and VMLY&R.
WPP Summer Accelerator
The WPP Summer Accelerator Programme is a rotational summer internship programme in the UK that aims to develop a pipeline of talented university students from a diversity of backgrounds, skill sets and experiences valuable to WPP.
The WPP Summer Accelerator Programme is a four and a half week rotational programme. Each Summer Accelerator will rotate through two, two-week internships at different WPP agencies, gaining exposure to a wide range of careers in communications, experience, commerce and technology.
Additionally, participants will attend weekly presentations by senior leadership across the WPP community. The Summer Accelerators’ time during the programme will culminate in a three-day client pitch and presentation workshop.
The 2020 WPP Summer Accelerator Programme runs from June 29th – July 29th. To be eligible, participants must be in their penultimate or graduating year of university and have the right to work in the United Kingdom.
Applications are now closed.
Interested in learning more? Contact email@example.com.