Marketing to the New Majority:
Strategies for a Diverse World
By David Burgos, Millward Brown
Today, diversity is the default, not the exception. "Minorities" are already the majority in some of the biggest cities in the United States, and demographers predict that the same will be true of the country as a whole before 2045. In their new book, Marketing to the New Majority: Strategies for a Diverse World
, Millward Brown's David Burgos and Ola Mobolade explore and analyze America's increasingly diverse consumer population and offer strategies for marketers hoping to connect with the new mainstream and the different segments that comprise it.
Drawing on interviews with dozens of marketing powerhouses and Millward Brown's vast database of consumer research, Marketing to the New Majority: Strategies for a Diverse World
shows marketers how to develop integrated campaigns that effectively reach culturally diverse consumer populations.
About the authors:
- The importance of moving away from "ethnic silo" thinking
- Detailed insight on the role of the non-Hispanic White segment in the multicultural community
- What the history of multicultural advertising can teach us about how companies should and should not occupy that space today
- How the digital revolution has accelerated the blurring of borders in both personal cultural identity and media consumption
- How to determine whether to take a targeted versus non-targeted communications approach
- Strategic recommendations based on the your company's life stage in approaching the new majority
- Learning from other countries around the world who are following similar patterns of multiculturalism
- Implications of a new segmentation that goes beyond acculturation to identify "diversity within diversity" based on attitudes and lifestyles
is head of Millward Brown's Multicultural Practice and Leader of the ARF's People Forum. He won the ARF's 2008 Great Mind Award, frequently speaks at conferences and consults with Fortune 500 companies on the changing face of U.S. multicultural markets. Ola Mobolade
is a managing director at Firefly, Millward Brown's qualitative research practice. Her knowledge of multicultural markets, trend-leader segments, and youth demographics allows her to bring exceptional strategic marketing capabilities to Firefly's clients, which include dozens of industry powerhouses.
Marketing to the New Majority: Strategies for a Diverse World
is published by Palgrave Macmillan, and is available on WPP Books