What we're doing
Sustainability in marketing
Many of our companies have developed bespoke sustainability services for clients. These include Burson-Marsteller’s Global Corporate Responsibility Practice, Hill+Knowlton Strategies CR & Sustainability Communications offering, JWT Ethos, OgilvyEarth, P&G’s S-Team (including Added Value, Bridge, FITCH, G2, The Futures Company, Hill+Knowlton Strategies, Landor and Penn Schoen Berland); and PSB Green.
To help our clients access our sustainability expertise more easily and to enhance collaboration on sustainability between Group companies, we published a Sustainability Navigator in early 2012. This handbook and online resource summarises our companies’ sustainability offerings, together with contact details for sustainability experts around the Group. The Navigator has been distributed throughout the Group to CEOs, regional leaders, global client leaders, communication teams and key sustainability contacts. Our people can also search an online version available on the Group intranet. We held a meeting for sustainability experts within our companies to meet and share ideas during 2011 and we are planning a series of webinars on sustainability topics for our companies during 2012.
WPP companies in all disciplines are involved in sustainability marketing. See the Applying our expertise diagram.
Our companies create social marketing campaigns, usually for government or non-governmental organisation (NGO) clients, tackling issues related to public health, safety or the environment. They are designed to raise awareness or encourage people to change their behaviour.
Several of our companies operate specialist social marketing units, including Ogilvy Outreach, Ogilvy PR’s social marketing practice, JWT Ethos, Thompson Social and TNS Political and Social.
We help clients to support charities while raising their brand profile through cause-related marketing campaigns. Often these involve a company making a donation to charity for every product purchased.
Executed sensitively, these campaigns can successfully raise awareness and funds for charity, while increasing sales and customer loyalty. Consumers are able to buy something they want and benefit a good cause. We help our clients create brand-charity partnerships that are meaningful and appropriate.
Applying our expertise
- Research and insight: Enabling clients to understand changing attitudes to sustainability issues and the role of business and government in society and to test the impact of different sustainability communications approaches.
- Consumer communications: Our advertising, digital and direct communications companies help clients to communicate credibly with consumers and other customers on sustainability issues and promote the green or ethical credentials of their products and services.
- Employee communications: Our agencies help clients to engage their employees on social and environmental issues and integrate sustainability into their business.
- Stakeholder communications: Our PR and public affairs companies help clients to communicate with regulators, the media, NGOs and the public sustainability issues.
- Branding and strategy: Helping clients to develop their sustainability strategies and to embed social and environmental values into their brands and marketing.