WPP companies across the globe Vote for Earth
Earth Hour is an annual global event created by environmental charity WWF that asks households and businesses to turn off lights and electrical appliances for one hour. It reminds us that small actions can make a big difference in the fight against climate change.
WPP companies around the globe stepped up to show their commitment to the environment:
- H&K Beijing helped organise Hewlett-Packard’s role in a cooperative effort with Wal-Mart, P&G and WWF to spread awareness and participation in Earth Hour.
- Ogilvy PR and RedWorks organised the Earth Hour 2009 launch event at the Beijing Urban Planning Exhibition Centre.
- Ogilvy Shanghai managed the pre-event media interviews with Earth Hour spokespeople and held an internal photo competition for the most creative thing to do in the dark during the event.
- Research International Australia’s three Sydney offices switched off their lights for the third year running.
- Wunderman Australia developed an interactive digital campaign using virtual-reality technology to promote the event. Visitors to the ‘Earth in Your Hands’ website are invited to print out an Earth Hour image and place it in their hand. Using a webcam, they can then project the image of a globe onto the bit of paper to give the illusion of literally holding the Earth in their palm of their hand.
This year, Earth Hour has been transformed into the world’s first global election, with every commitment to switch off the lights standing as a vote for action on climate change. WWF are urging the world to VOTE EARTH and reach the target of one billion votes, which will be presented to world leaders at the Global Climate Change Conference in Copenhagen in December 2009.