Stakeholder feedback helps us to refine and strengthen our approach to CR. We engage with a number of different stakeholder groups as part of normal business practice. These include:
- Clients – WPP companies are regularly asked about their approach to social and environmental issues during pitches.
- Employees – we engage with our people through regular surveys (conducted at operating company level). We distribute our Corporate Responsibility Report to 2,000 senior managers and send copies to WPP CR representatives, communications departments, key account executives and new business directors. It is also available on our Group intranet and public website. Articles on CR are included in The WIRE (WPP’s global newspaper) and our magazine for procurement professionals (Buy-in).
- Industry organisations and other partners – WPP is a founder member of the UK’s Media Sector CSR Forum, a group of leading media companies committed to furthering corporate responsibility in the sector. We are members of the Institute of Business Ethics.
We believe that marketing and communications will play a key role in efforts to tackle climate change. WPP is participating in Shaping the Message on Climate Change, an initiative of the UN and International Advertising Association, to improve communication on climate change and ensure a successful outcome at the Copenhagen Climate Conference in December 2009. As part of this, our Chief Executive, Sir Martin Sorrell, led the discussion session during the World Economic Forum in January 2009.
- Investors – we respond to requests for information and meetings from WPP share owners and rating agencies. In 2008 this included requests for information from:
- – Carbon Disclosure Project
- – Cooperative Asset Management
- – Dow Jones Sustainability Index
- – Ethical Investment Research Service (EIRIS)
- – Governance Metrics International
- – Innovest
- – IWFinancial
- – Pensions Investment Research Consultants (PIRC)
- – SiRi
Investors raised questions on a number of subjects including our climate change strategy, supply chain management, our approach to managing ethical issues in client work and our procedures for protecting human rights. An investor’s view on our approach to marketing ethics.
WPP is included in the FTSE4Good Index.