Case study: Diversity at Grey New York
Grey New York is stepping up its efforts to attract and retain diverse talent. In 2007, the agency formed a diversity committee to increase understanding and awareness of diversity among its employees. The committee includes representatives from human resources, line managers, directors, vice presidents and senior vice presidents.
Grey’s diversity committee has created a diversity and inclusion mission statement:
“As agents of change, we are a team committed to:
- Encouraging and endorsing an agency-wide “big picture understanding” of inclusivity that will embrace all human differences across our firm.
- Ensuring that all Grey employees are educated, empowered and included in all enterprises that might contribute towards the development of diversity and inclusion at our agency.
- Putting energy into initiatives that will continually promote the dynamic definition of diversity here at Grey NY.
- Encouraging our HR team to recruit and retain diverse employees as we bring awareness of this vital concept throughout our agency.”
Grey participates in a number of initiatives and partnerships with diversity organisations including:
- Multicultural Advertising Intern Program (MAIP) – a summer internship program designed to encourage African-American, Asian-American, Latin-American, Native-American and multiracial and multiethnic college students to strongly consider advertising as a career through participation in 10-week paid internships. Grey sponsored six MAIP interns in the summer of 2007.
- Capital program – a program promoting summer youth employment in New York City for inner city students. We participated in the pilot program in 2006 and participated again in 2007, sponsoring two Capital interns.
- Diversity roundtable – Grey is an ongoing member of the roundtable diversity discussion group which is attended by human resource directors and managers from a number of advertising agencies.
Grey takes part in recruitment events aimed at people from minority backgrounds. Examples include:
- AdEx: (Advertising Industry Experienced Hire Diversity Recruiting Program) – Grey sponsor this event which takes place during Advertising Week, along with G2 Branding & Design, G2 Direct & Digital and G2 Promotional Marketing. It focuses directly on recruiting mid- to senior-level diverse candidates for the industry. Unlike typical public job fairs, AdEx provides a forum where experienced candidates from diverse backgrounds can connect with top agencies in private career information and networking sessions.
- Diversity in Advertising Career Day – Grey (along with G2) purchased a booth at this important job fair. This provided the opportunity to meet and attract gifted diverse candidates.