Our commitment to sustainability has a direct impact on our financial performance and our ability to achieve our business strategy. It is integral to our relationships with our clients, employees, investors and other stakeholders.
We focus on the following areas that are significant to WPP’s business strategy and reflect our stakeholders’ priorities:
|Our sustainability priorities||Relationship to our business strategy|
The impact of our work
||Revenue growth: clients increasingly look to our companies for advice on sustainability issues. Clients who engaged with us on sustainability were worth over £1.26 billion to the Group in 2013.|
||Risk management: our ethical policies and culture reduce risks to our business, including those associated with growth into new markets. Data investment management and digital marketing: leading privacy and data security practices underpin our access to digital marketing and data investment management business opportunities.|
||Talent: our leading employment practices and commitment to sustainability enable us to recruit and retain the best talent. Skills: our investment in professional development enables us to grow our business in areas such as digital marketing and in new markets such as the faster-growing economies. It equips our people to achieve horizontality – working together for the benefit of clients. Our support for education and apprenticeships helps to build the skills base and our future pipeline of talent.|
||Client relationships: managing our environmental impacts enhances our credibility as advisors to our clients on sustainability. Cost efficiency: cutting our energy use and business air travel helps to reduce costs.|
Supply chain management
||Risk management: integrating sustainability criteria into our procurement process reduces risks to our business.|
||Talent and skills: pro bono work and volunteering activities support the engagement and development of our people. Client relationships: our many award-winning pro bono campaigns enhance the creative reputation of our companies.|
We received a number of sustainability-related awards and rankings in 2013:
- Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP) – score of 95B and listed in the CDP FTSE 350 Climate Disclosure Leadership Index.
- Identified as best in class in the advertising sector by Triodos Bank.
- IVCA Fellowship Award 2013 – recognised WPP’s chief executive Sir Martin Sorrell for championing corporate social responsibility.
- PwC Building Public Trust awards – Winner in the People Reporting in the FTSE 100 category.
- Shortlisted in the Investor Relations Society Best Practice Awards for ‘Best communication of sustainability in the annual report’.
Chapter 9 of 13